Sunday, April 21, 2013

A Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day

I meant to write yesterday, but yesterday was a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.  Ugh. 

Shellfish, apple cider vinegar, jumper cables, and Gatorade. That about sums up my day.

Adam and I had a wonderful date night on Friday...which ended in about 12 hours of food poisoning from shellfish. (Yes, I'm all better now. No, I don't intend to give up eating seafood). Children do not understand the "I have been up all night ridding my body of this piece of shrimp (or whatever it was) and I am still feeling so sick I can barely stand up" situation, and they were up at 6:30, full of energy.  They did not care that Mommy didn't seem to be full of the same energy. They wanted to play. And although Adam was very, very, helpful, he had to leave at 7:30.

Fortunately, the internet can be a wonderful place, and I found a home remedy on Pinterest that actually worked, so by mid morning I was done with the being sick part, and I was just worn out.

If you are ever in a similar situation, and you are fairly certain it's food poisoning, not a stomach bug, the remedy that I found was apple cider vinegar. I found several sites that all confirmed - take about a shot glass worth of apple cider vinegar once you are sure you're "empty" but still feeling sick. It tastes horrible, but it works. It has to be "real" apple cider vinegar, not flavored regular vinegar, and I was lucky I had some on hand. In cases like this, the internet is amazing. 

Tucking this remedy away...just in case.

I was supposed to take the girls to meet my parents in the morning, while Adam played in a golf tournament, but there was no way I was up to it, and really, no way I was up to managing two toddlers on my own all morning. Fortunately, when I called, they were willing to change their plans and come over to play with the girls so I could go lie down.  Excellent plan.

Right. Except Reagan decided to be horribly cranky, and no one but Mommy was acceptable. So instead of laying down, I sat in an armchair cuddling a very cranky kid. Luckily, Madison absolutely adored having her grandparents there to give her some undivided attention.  And after lunch, they settled down for good naps, which meant I could nap too (after I cleaned the carpet, the toilet, and the sink. Because of course those had to be cleaned).

Later that afternoon, after my nap, I needed to go to the laundromat to wash the comforter (yes, that was also related to the food poisoning. That's all you need to know about that). The laundromat was surprisingly crowded with people I didn't feel like hanging out with, so I sat in my car reading and nibbling crackers while the comforter dried. Finally finished, ready to go home...battery was dead. Apparently when I was sitting in my car, I hadn't quite turned the key all the way to off, and I was slowly draining the battery. And the jumper cables weren't in my car. Whoops. That earned me another hour while I waited for AAA.

Oh, I should point out that we have a battery pack  - and jumper cables - at home. Why didn't Adam just meet me at the laundromat? Because I had Reagan's only carseat sitting in my car.  My dead car.

This is NOT the first time I've realized that the cables are uselessly sitting the garage. And I STILL haven't put them back in my car.

OH, and while I was waiting for AAA, the owner of the laundromat (who was not there all afternoon - he showed up after I asked if anyone had jumper cables) kept coming out to tap on my window and ask me questions, in extremely broken English, about the car. I should point out that he had no ability to jump me, or assist in any way. But he seemed extremely upset about the situation anyway. He kept telling me that the battery in my "new" car (his car is 5 years old) should not have died, and it wasn't the battery, and I needed to make other plans. What he had in mind, I have no idea. I just kept thanking him, telling him I was all set, and closing the door again. When AAA finally arrived, he stood outside with us as the tech jumped the car, supervising and firing questions about how my battery possibly could have died.

By the time I got home, the girls and Adam were starving. I had told Adam, when I originally left the house, that I was picking up chicken at the market next to the laundromat. I wasn't sure I felt up to eating yet, but I could easily throw the chicken and some veggies in the oven.  When my visit was extended, I never thought to tell him my plans had changed with regards to dinner.  He could have easily made something if I'd thought ahead.

So here I am, exhausted, flustered, vaguely ill, making pasta while Reagan clings to my leg and Madison tells me she isn't interested in dinner after all.

Finally, the girls were fed, bathed, and in bed.  I decided right then, that as far as I was concerned, the day was over. I had some soup, an apple, and a bottle of Gatorade in a hot bath, and was in bed by 8:30.  Because the good thing about days like yesterday is that they have to end at some point.

Thankfully, today was a much better day. Woke up feeling fine, worked in the church nursery, got the house put back together from the chaos that had ensued on Saturday, and even got some errands run.

Date night? Worth it.

Shrimp? I'll risk it.

Bad days? They all pass.

Tomorrow I should be back on track, posting funny things I find on Facebook, and writing about our grocery store antics on Friday. If this post made you feel bad for me, you can make me feel better by visiting me on Facebook and pretending you find me funny, clever, insightful, whatever.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Real Time Web Analytics